Thank you for your interest in the Summer Work and Travel program!
The Summer Work Travel (SWT) program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from college or university. More importantly, it is an exchange program, allowing participants to interact with American people and experience American culture.
SWT Participants Must:
- Be able to speak English sufficiently well to succeed in an English-only speaking environment;
- Be post-secondary school students enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited classroom-based, post-secondary educational institution outside the United States;
- Have successfully completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study;
- Be placed in an appropriate job prior to the visa interview. Potential SWT participants are encouraged to contact any of the various U.S. sponsors;
- Read and understand the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Act pamphlet, before the interview. You can download a printable version here (PDF, 70 KB). Or click here for an online version in Russian (PDF, 242 KB); and
- Be able to complete the program within four months and return before the start of the new semester. See below for further details on timing requirements.
The most accurate and detailed information about the Summer Work and Travel program is available for free at the State Department’s website for exchange programs. Here you will find information about the program dates for Uzbekistan, program requirements, how to apply, and tips on how to ensure you have a successful experience. Please note that each individual participant’s program dates must not start before, or go after, their university’s academic break and these dates should appear on the DS-2019 forms. You cannot miss any classes in order to participate in SWT. You must be able to complete the SWT Program within four months and return before the start of the new semester.
Application Season for SWT 2020:
SWT visa applications are accepted beginning March 15, 2020.
Individuals may apply through the normal visa application process by filling out the DS-160 and scheduling an appointment online.
The required documents to participate in the SWT program:
2. A passport valid for travel abroad.
3. A photograph taken within the past 6 months (photographs must be in color, 5cm X 5cm in size and on a white background).
4. Form DS-2019 for exchange visitor visas. This form is issued by the sponsoring organization.
5. Information about your job offer in the United States.
6. Form I-901 or I-797 proof of SEVIS payment.
7. Documents to prove student status such as student IDs, transcripts and etc.
- $160 application fee for each applicant.
- $35 SEVIS fee for participation in Summer Work and Travel program.
Potential SWT participants are encouraged to contact any of the various U.S. sponsors. Local SWT agents are private companies that provide a service in exchange for a fee and are typically affiliated with a qualified U.S. sponsor. Participants should compare the fees and services provided by several different SWT facilitators in Uzbekistan.
NOTE: The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent reminds prospective SWT participants that we do not endorse any particular agency or organization in Uzbekistan that administers the SWT program.
Registered Local Agencies
The following is a list of some agencies in Uzbekistan that partner with U.S.-based exchange visitor sponsors and can assist applicants in obtaining a DS-2019 from a U.S.-based exchange visitor sponsor.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Mission in Uzbekistan assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by the following persons or firms. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department of State or the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance.
The following local agencies are currently registered to participate in the Summer Work and Travel season:
Exchange Uz LLC.
International Exchange Center.
International Exchange Center-Uzbekistan.
Life Adventures Consulting.
LLC Lifeway Consulting dba Global Friends.
CAEP, Center For American Exchange Programs.