Student Visas

The United States is proud of an educational system that attracts more than a half million international students and scholars to our campuses.

Applicants for student visas (F-1 visas for academic students; M-1 visas for vocational students), must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy. Please see our Instructions on Use of our Online Appointment System.

All applicants for a student visa must bring the following required documents to their interview:

  1. Electronic application form DS-160. This application must be filled out electronically at This application will also be necessary to make an appointment for an interview. You must also bring a printed copy of your DS-160 confirmation page to your interview!  Please make sure that the barcode of the application is printed clearly. See the example.
  2. A passport valid for travel abroad.
  3. A photograph taken within the past 6 months (photographs must be in color, 5cm X 5cm in size and on a white background). Only original photographs are acceptable. Photos that have been altered in any way (copied, digitally scanned, retouched, etc.) will not be accepted. For more information, please see requirements for visa photos (PDF-93kb). Application Form DS-160 allows for the photo to be uploaded to the electronic form. The Consular Section recommends you bring a photo to the interview even if the photo upload was successful.
  4. Form I-20 for student visas (F-1, M-1, F-2 and M-2). This form is issued by the educational institution.
  5. Form I-901 or I -797 proof of SEVIS payment. See our page on SEVIS payment for more information on this payment. The only way to pay this fee in Uzbekistan is through a credit card online at Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  6. Financial evidence that shows you or your sponsors have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsors own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.
  7. For family members applying to travel with a student as a derivative (spouses or children), documentary proof of your relationship to the student, such as marriage or birth certificate.

More detailed information on student visas is available on the Consular Affairs Offices main website.