International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (“IMBRA”)

  1. How do I obtain a fiancé(e) (K-1) visa?
  2. After your visa has been issued
  3. International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (“IMBRA”)
  4. Contact us

The following information regarding the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (“IMBRA”) is available to applicants for K1 and K3 non-immigrant visas, and for CR1, IR1, F21, C21, FX1, and CX1 family based visa applicants.

IMBRA requires that the United States government provide, to an immigrating fiancé(e) or spouse of a citizen or resident of the United States, an information pamphlet on legal rights and resources for immigrant victims of domestic violence. One of IMBRA’s goals is to provide applicants with accurate information about the immigration process and how to access help if a relationship becomes abusive.

The pamphlet provides information about:

  • Domestic violence;
  • The legal rights for victims of domestic violence in the United States;
  • Services available for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault;
  • Immigration options available to victims of domestic violence, sexual assaults, or other crime;
  • International Marriage Brokers regulation by the Government;
  • Criminal background information available to K visa applicant about U.S.Citizen’s fiancé(e)

The pamphlet is available in multiple languages and can be found on the webpage of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (PDF 53 KB).