After your visa has been issued

You have ninety (90) days from entry into the United States in which to marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e).  After your marriage takes place in the United States, you and your U.S. citizen spouse must contact USCIS to change your status to that of legal permanent resident. The change of status is NOT automatic.