Appearing for Immigrant Visa Interview

  1. Appearing for Immigrant Visa Interview
  2. Requirements
  3. Fees
  4. Waivers

Congratulations!  You’ve gotten your interview notification and you have a time/date for your interview with the consular officer.  All immigrant visa applicants must appear in person for an interview – including babies and small children – in order to receive an immigrant visa.

We recommend you appear for your interview 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment.  If you are late, you may not be allowed into the U.S. Embassy for your interview.

A special note if you are a Diversity Visa applicant:  If you do not appear for your interview on time you may not be allowed into the U.S. Embassy and may not be rescheduled in the future.

We want you to be prepared for your interview, so we require the following:

  • A completed Form DS-260

All questions on the DS-260 form must be answered in detail, including complete employment and education histories, and U.S. sponsor contact information. Failure to complete your form in full may result in delays in processing your visa application. If you have been assisted by someone else in completing your application, you must thoroughly review the answers they provide on your behalf for every question, as you will be held legally responsible for those answers.

The form is available at the Bureau of Consular Affairs Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) and instructions on completing the DS-260 are located on the webpage of the Bureau of Consular Affairs.  You may also review the answers to frequently asked questions about the DS-260.

  • Your passport

All immigrant visa applicants must bring a passport to their interview or they will not be allowed into the U.S. Embassy.  You must have a valid passport that has at least eight months of passport validity at the time of your visa interview.  Passports should be in good condition and not significantly damaged to avoid delays in visa processing or difficulties leaving the country.  While is it not required for visa issuance, we recommend that you get an OVIR exit stamp/foil prior to your interview.

  • Your petitioner

If the petitioner for your immigrant visa –your spouse, mother, father, sibling or child – is currently in Uzbekistan, please bring them with you to your appointment.  While their attendance during your interview is not required, the consular officer must verify that you and the petitioner have a bona fide relationship. It is almost always easier to demonstrate that you and the petitioner have a relationship if they attend the interview with you.  For step-child cases, we often need to validate the relationship between the biological parent and the petitioner, as well–so it often helps if they come.

We recognize that the distance and cost may prohibit the petitioner to attend the interview so this is not a requirement but it may expedite processing of your immigrant visa.

To schedule appointment petitioners must send an email inquiry to our Consular Section. For instructions please visit our Contact Us webpage.

In cases where the relationship between the Petitioner and the Beneficiary is parent-child or child-parent, we will require originals of both the Petitioner’s and the Beneficiary’s birth certificates in order to establish that the relationship is bona fide. In cases where the relationship between the Petitioner and Beneficiary is spousal, we will require the original marriage certificate. In cases where the Petitioner and Beneficiary established the stepparent/stepchild relationship the original of the marriage certificate of the petitioner and biological parent, as well as the original of the court decree on dissolution of previous marriages of the Petitioner and the biological parent will be required.

  • Guardians

Minors under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a legal guardian appointed under a signed and notarized power of attorney issued by the petitioner. The power of attorney is not required if guardian’s information is listed on Uzbek exit permit in minor beneficiary’s passport.

To schedule appointment petitioners must send an email inquiry to our Consular Section. For instructions please visit our Contact Us webpage. 


This application must be filled out electronically for each visa applicant at . You must bring a printed copy of your DS-260 confirmation page to your interview. Please note that this form is not required from K visa applicants.


Passports must be valid for travel abroad and be valid for at least sixty days beyond the expiration of your immigrant visa, which in most cases is six months after the visa was issued.  Each applicant must provide the original passport and a photocopy of the passport’s front page containing the photograph


Two recent photos for each visa applicant 5×5 cm in size; background must be white or off-white. Photos that have been altered or photo-shopped will not be accepted.

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate must be provided for each alien relative in original and photocopy. If you had your name changed, please be prepared to provide a name change document issued by a court or vital records office. For individuals who had their name changed via the vital records office in Uzbekistan, an official excerpt from the vital records office must be obtained. If the petitioner is your parent or child, their original birth certificate will be required to establish the bona fides of the parent-child relationship.

Marriage Certificate

A marriage certificate must be provided both in original and in photocopy.

Divorce/Death Certificate

Divorce or death certificates issued by a vital records office or a court decree on dissolution of marriage must be provided for any of the applicant’s previous marriages in both original and photocopy. 

Military Records/Book

A military book must be provided in original and photocopy. Military books are not required for those individuals above the age of 16 who: (1) have not served in the mandatory draft or the mobilized draft reserve (МПР); (2) have not completed the military education course as part of their academic curriculum in a higher educational institution in Uzbekistan; or (3) are currently enrolled in a higher educational institution in Uzbekistan. These exempt individuals, however, must present a draft registration card (приписной билет) in the place of a military book.

Police Records

Police certificate(s) must be provided from each country where a visa applicant has lived for more than one year since the age of 16, including periods of military service. As such, individuals who completed Soviet military service outside what is now Uzbekistan (i.e. in Russia, Germany, Ukraine, etc.) must present police certificates from those countries. For information on how to apply for a police certificate in another country, please visit Bureau of Consular Affairs website and select the desired country from the drop-down menu, and look under country documents.

To obtain a police certificate from Uzbekistan, visa applicants must apply for a police certificate at the Republican Information Center of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Uzbekistan. The Republican Information Center is located at 1, Yunus Radjabiy Street, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

Those who have been arrested or convicted of a crime in Uzbekistan should obtain a police certificate detailing their criminal history and present all related court documents in order to avoid unnecessary visa processing delays. This detailed certificate is required even if government authorities dropped the charges against the visa applicant, expunged the individual’s criminal record, or granted amnesty.

Applicants currently residing outside of Uzbekistan should apply at the diplomatic mission of Uzbekistan in the country of their current temporary residence to receive a police certificate for Uzbekistan. Foreign citizens who are temporarily residing in Uzbekistan must apply for a police certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Uzbekistan via the diplomatic missions of their respective countries.

Police certificates must have been issued recently (within one year for certificates from Uzbekistan and one year for foreign certificates) and must include all names (including maiden names) used since the visa applicant turned 16 years of age.

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PEOPLE WHO SERVED IN THIRD COUNTRIES DURING THE MILITARY SERVICE! A Ministry of Defense clearance certificate providing information regarding criminal records or convictions during military service in a third country does not serve as a substitute for a police certificate from that country.

Medical Examination

Applicants are required to undergo a medical examination by an Embassy panel physician at the Tashkent International Clinic (TIC). The applicant must also present his/her vaccination records at the medical examination. TIC will send the results of the medical examination to the U.S. Embassy.

Financial Documents

If not submitted to the National Visa Center (NVC), an original of the signed Affidavit of Support I-864A or I-864EZ (when appropriate) with the most recent tax transcripts from IRS; and letters from employer must be provided.

Visa Fee

If not paid to the National Visa Center (NVC), each visa applicant must pay a visa application fee of at the time of visa interview. The fee will only be accepted in U.S. dollars and should only be paid to the consular cashier at the Embassy on the day of the visa interview. For information about the visa fee, please refer to our Immigrant Visa Fee Schedule on the website of the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent.

Visa Validity

An immigrant visa is normally valid for six months. However, the visa issuance procedure mandates limitation of the validity of the majority of immigrant visa categories to the expiration date of the medical examination

Additional Documents for Fiancé(e) Visa (K1/K2) or Applicants for K3/K4 Visas:

Application Form DS-160

This application must be filled out electronically for each K visa applicant at  You must bring a printed copy of your DS-160 confirmation page to your interview.

Financial Documents

An I-134 Affidavit of Support is not required, but may be requested by the Consular Officer. Please submit financial documents to show that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States. Such documents may include, but are not limited to: the most recent tax transcripts from IRS; bank account statements; earnings and leave statements; and/or letters from employer.

Additional Documents for IR5 (Parent of a U.S. Citizen) and F4 (Brothers and Sisters of a U.S. Citizen) Applicants:

U.S. Citizen’s Birth Certificate

The document should indicate the name of both parents. Please bring the original and photocopy of this document.

Additional Documents for E Visa (Employment) Applicants:

Employment documents evidencing your qualifications for the visa.

Additional Documents for Following-to-Join Derivatives:

Evidence of the principal applicant’s status change in the U.S (copy of Form I-551 and/or other documentation from DHS verifying the principal applicant’s status).

Additional Evidence:

The Consular Officer may also ask for additional information at the time of the applicant’s interview that helps to establish the relationship between petitioner and the beneficiary, or that resolves any other relevant issues regarding the applicant’s entitlement to the visa. This information may include, but is not limited to, photos, letters, or phone records.