The U.S. Embassy in Tashkent in collaboration with American Spaces in Uzbekistan announce the launch of a Poetry Contest titled Video Poetry in celebration of the 30 years of U.S.-Uzbekistan partnership, UN English Language Day, and National Poetry Month. Anyone wishing to demonstrate his/her talent may participate by reciting a poem in either Uzbek or English and posting it on Instagram. The contest will take place virtually starting from April 1, 2021 till April 18, 2021. Winners in the categories of best Uzbek-language poem and best English-language poem will be awarded tablets and books of poetry and have their video posted on the U.S. Embassy and American Spaces social media.
The Contest will be run on Instagram.
- Participants should make a short video (one minute or less) performance recitation of a poem in Uzbek or English, follow the U.S. Embassy Tashkent and American Spaces in Uzbekistan pages, and post the video on Instagram using #USUZ30 #Americanspacesinuzbekistan and #Usembassytashkent. Submissions must include all three hashtags.
- Poems should be by an American modern or classic poet, either translated into Uzbek or their original English.
- Each contestant can submit up to two poems (one in Uzbek and one in English) in their desired style of poetry.
- The deadline for submitting poems is midnight, April 18th.
- No age limit for contestants.
- Open to all Uzbekistani citizens.
Criteria for choosing a winner:
- Quality of Poem delivery (verbal or sign language)
- Beauty of the video (attractiveness of background, clarity of video, etc.)
- Technical quality
A panel of expert judges will make a selection per the above criteria and select two winners- one in Uzbek and another in English. Winners will be announced on the U.S. Embassy and American Spaces in Uzbekistan social media pages on English Language Day on April 23rd.
- April 1-18 – Launching the contest. Contestants submit their work on Instagram.
- April 18-22 – Winners selection by the panel of experts.
- April 23rd – Announcement of the winners and winning videos will be posted on the U.S. Embassy and American Spaces in Uzbekistan’s social media pages.