Your photo is a vital part of your passport application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply.
If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide one (1) photo. Your passport photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Size of head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- No glasses
- If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with your application.
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Taken a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
- No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.