How to Apply for a Child’s Passport (Under the Age of 16)

For Minors under Age 16 you must establish proof of both citizenship and relationship. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).

Both parents of children under age 16 must sign Form DS-11 (PDF 100 KB or E-form) at the Embassy on behalf of the child applying for a U.S. passport and submit their signed passport/I.D. (Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.) If a parent is unavailable to appear at the Embassy, an original notarized statement in English consenting to the issuance of the minor’s passport or notarized DS-3053 (PDF 42 KB) along with a notarized copy of the signed passport/I.D. of the non-appearing parent, must be submitted.  If the non-appearing parent cannot be located or there are other exigent circumstances for not presenting the non-appearing parent’s signature, Form DS-5525 (PDF 41 KB) must be completed and signed at the Consular Section when applying.

Proof of Parentage

Parents applying for a U.S. passport for a minor under age 16, should provide proof of parentage. Acceptable evidence of the child’s relation to the parents is a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with parents’ names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth certificate, (with parents’ names) for children born in Uzbekistan; or
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names); or
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship

For children under 16, please see: Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16.

Please note: if you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you will need to first report the child’s birth. Please see the information on this website regarding “Consular Reports of Birth Abroad.”