Birth and Reporting Birth Abroad

  1. Adoption
  2. Two-Parent Consent
  3. Birth and Reporting Birth Abroad
  4. Marriage

A child born to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. More detailed information on the acquisition of U.S. citizenship is available on the main webpage of the Consular Affairs Bureau of the Department of State. The same webpage contains information on how to obtain a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen. Parents may download the Application DS-2029 for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF 110 KB). The Report of Birth Abroad is the child’s proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to acquire a U.S. passport. Parents are encouraged to contact the Embassy as soon as possible after the birth of the child.

If the child was born out-of-wedlock (see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad for clarification) to a U.S. citizen father, Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 113 KB) is a required document to submit. Completing this form prior to the visit to the Consular Section to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad will save our customers time and is therefore, recommended.

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.