Birth and Reporting Birth Abroad

  1. Two-Parent Consent
  2. Birth and Reporting Birth Abroad
  3. Adoption
  4. Marriage


A child born to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

When to Apply: CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. Applying for a CRBA is a simple process but does require you to collect and submit some documentation, and then appear with your child in person at the embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services by appointment unless otherwise noted. The CRBA neither serves as, nor is intended to serve as, proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents. In general, the name or names listed on the CRBA are those of the parents, including those through whom the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship is made.

Applying Online: If you are applying in Tashkent, Uzbekistan you may be eligible to apply for your child’s CRBA online.

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section in Tashkent!

This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.

  1. Was the child born in UZBEKISTAN?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

Go to MyTravelGov  to learn more and create your online account. After creating online account and payment allow 5 business days between payment and appointment. Schedule an interview appointment by sending an E-mail to

(I acknowledge that I must allow five business days between my payment and the appointment to use this option).

If any of the above statements does not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a Paper Application (DS-2029).