A child born to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. More detailed information on the acquisition of U.S. citizenship is available on the main webpage of the Consular Affairs Bureau of the Department of State. The same webpage contains information on how to obtain a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen. Parents may download the Application DS-2029 for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (PDF 110 KB). The Report of Birth Abroad is the child’s proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to acquire a U.S. passport. Parents are encouraged to contact the Embassy as soon as possible after the birth of the child.

If the child was born out-of-wedlock (see Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad for clarification) to a U.S. citizen father, Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 113 KB) is a required document to submit.  Completing this form prior to the visit to the Consular Section to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad will save our customers time and is therefore, recommended.