The United States Embassy in Tashkent is pleased to announce a call for applications for a women’s self-defense Sports Visitor Program funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Sports Diplomacy Division. The program is for female self-defense instructors from all regions of Uzbekistan.
The Sports Visitor Program brings youth athletes, coaches, and administrators from all over the world to the United States for a short-term, sports-based cultural exchange. During the program, participants engage with American peers and sports practitioners, participate in clinics and sessions on leadership, team building, and conflict resolution, as well as inclusion and equity in sports. Sports Visitor programs show young people how success in athletics can translate into achievements in the classroom and in life. They also provide Americans an opportunity to interact firsthand with people from every region of the world.
We believe in the power of sports uniting people and promoting peace. As part of our Sports Diplomacy initiative, and in response to an overwhelming number of requests from the local community to establish Self-Defense Camps in all regions of Uzbekistan, the U.S. Embassy Tashkent will select 14 women instructors from all regions of Uzbekistan through a merit-based process.
Selected instructors will have the opportunity to travel to the United States on a two-week Sports Visitor program to learn the American experience in teaching empowerment integrated self-defense curricula, engage in physical and mental health training with professional instructors, and experience American culture.
The Sports Visitor Program is merit-based and open, at no cost, to applicants who meet the eligibility requirements listed below.
The application is open to female self-defense instructors who:
- Are at least 21 years old at the start of the program in July 2022.
- Are citizens of Uzbekistan, currently residing in different regions of Uzbekistan, including Tashkent and the Republic of Karakalpakstan.
- Are proficient in either Uzbek, English or Russian. English proficiency is not a requirement.
- Are in good physical and mental health condition.
- Share the U.S. vision for an equal world, free of gender-based violence.
- Have a proven track record of being involved in professional sports activities in their local community.
- Have a professional two-year experience in self-defense or martial arts instruction, including, but not limited to: boxing, kickboxing, karate, wrestling, sambo, judo, taekwondo, Muay Thai, and others.
- Have a minimum of 50 hours of hands-on teaching of self-defense or martial arts classes.
- Have a professional affiliation with a gym or other local sports entities.
- Are willing to and have a realistic plan to set-up a Self-Defense Camp for Women and Girls in their respective regions with or without funding from the U.S. Embassy.
- Are able to travel to the United States for two weeks in July – August 2022.
- Are eligible to receive and maintain the U.S. exchange visitor visa (J-1) required for the program; and
- Are committed to returning directly to Uzbekistan after the completion of the program.
Individuals in the following circumstances are NOT eligible for the Sports Visitor Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States.
- Individuals currently residing or working outside of Uzbekistan.
- Alumnae of the Sports Visitor Program.
- Male applicants.
HOW TO APPLY
You can complete the Sports Visitor Program application online in any of the languages below. Please complete the application in one language only.
To complete the application in English, please follow this link: https://forms.gle/M6mtGshzufE475Kc8
To complete the application in Uzbek, please follow this link: https://forms.gle/bJVyyLe78K28SeSh9
To complete the application in Russian, please follow this link: https://forms.gle/STi2NaLuxNazoHvSA
Deadline: You should submit your online application no later than 18:00 (local time in Uzbekistan) on April 10, 2022
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and will not be reviewed by the Selection Panel. Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.