Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Tashkent: Karakalpakstan (July 8, 2022)
Event: The government of Uzbekistan has declared a State of Emergency in the Autonomous Republic of Karakalpakstan until August 1 following violent clashes in Nukus. During this time, travelers may encounter curfews, road closures, internet outages, difficulty using ATMs, or disruptions to regularly scheduled flights within the region. U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid non-essential travel to the region during the State of Emergency.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Monitor embassy messaging for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Uzbekistan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Telegram and Twitter