The 2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program
Application Deadline: March 22, 2021
The Embassy of the United States in Tashkent is pleased to announce the 2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program.
The Fulbright TEA Program will bring secondary-level teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language, math, science, and social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects, to the United States for a six-week program in January 2022 or September 2022 to take academic seminars for professional development at a host university and to observe and share their expertise with teachers and students at the host university and at local secondary schools.
The program will consist of general academic seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, student-centered learning, content-based instruction, lesson planning, and instructional technology training for teachers. The program will also include a practicum of at least 40 hours with a U.S. partner teacher in a secondary school near the host university to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program. The program will provide participants with practical resources they can use in their teaching, as well as skills to train trainers.
After returning home, teachers who successfully complete the program will be eligible to apply for small grant awards for essential teaching materials, follow-on training for other teachers, collaborative projects between participating American schools and their home schools, and other activities that build on the exchange experience.
The TEA fellowship is fully funded and provides:
- J-1 visa support;
- A pre-departure orientation held in participant’s home country;
- Round-trip airfare to and within the U.S.;
- A Welcome Program at the host university;
- Academic program fees;
- Housing (generally shared with other program fellows) and meals;
- Accident and sickness medical insurance coverage (does not cover pre-existing conditions);
- Transportation to the teaching practicum school (if necessary);
- A daily allowance for incidentals during the academic program;
- A book/professional development allowance
- A baggage allowance;
- An end-of-program workshop in Washington, D.C.; and
- The opportunity to apply for alumni small grants for alumni in good standing.
- Be current secondary school-level*(including academic lyceums and vocational colleges), full-time teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), math, science, or social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects at an institution serving primarily a local population;
- Have completed at least five years of full-time teaching by the start of the program;
- Be citizens of and residents in Uzbekistan;
- Have earned a Bachelor’s degree;
- Earn a minimum score of 45-46 on the TOEFL iBT. Important: applicants are NOT required to take the test at the moment of application submission. TOEFL tests will be arranged for selected semi-finalists in April, 2021;
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program; and
- Have submitted a complete application.
*Secondary-level teachers include both middle and high school teachers serving students between approximately 12 and 18 years of age. Teachers responsible for teaching additional grade levels must teach middle or high school students more than 50% of their work time in order to be eligible for the program.
The Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program promotes diversity in the classroom and in learning. The Fulbright TEA Program supports inclusion and strongly encourages teachers with disabilities to apply. Teachers who have participated in the International Leaders in Education Program (ILEP), Edmund S. Muskie Graduate Fellowship Program, Partners in Education (PiE), Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program, and Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program are not eligible for Fulbright TEA. If you have participated in other professional development exchange programs in the United States, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent to inquire about your eligibility. Please note that preference will be given to applicants who have not participated in these programs or another Fulbright program.
The Fulbright TEA Program is an upper level university or graduate level academic program for practicing teachers. Educational administrators (such as representatives or officials of the Ministry of Education) and school administrators who teach less than fifty percent of their time, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible. Applicants must reside in the country of citizenship at the time of application.
Applications NOT meeting the above eligibility requirements will NOT be forwarded to the Selection Committee.
Fulbright TEA reserves the right to verify all the information included in the application. In the event that there is a discrepancy, or information is found to be false, the application will immediately be declared invalid and the applicant ineligible.
How to Apply
The online application is available at:
Please click here to view online application instructions IREX-Fulbright TEA OAS Applicant Guide (PDF 1 MB).
Please upload into the online application system:
- Fully completed online application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed;
- Institutional Support and Reference Form completed by your supervisor at the school where you are employed; English translation must be provided.
- Leave Approval Form signed by your school director, where you are employed.
- Supplemental documents: a copy of the photo and information pages of your passport copy, resume etc.
Applications must be submitted no later than March 22, 2021, 18:00.
Questions about the Fulbright TEA Program
Please email your questions to: Tashkent-ELP@state.gov with “Fulbright TEA” in the subject line of all emails or call us at (+998-78) 120-5450 or (+998-78) 140-2432