TechWomen is a mentorship and exchange program that aims to empower, connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East by providing them access and opportunity to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and become role models for women and girls in their communities. Launched in 2011, TechWomen is an initiative of the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
The program seeks to advance the rights and participation of women and girls around the world by enabling them to reach their full potential in the tech industry.
The U.S.-based exchange for TechWomen 2024 participants will take place over a five-week period from September to October 2024. Participants will carry out their fellowships in the San Francisco/Bay Area or Chicago simultaneously for the first four weeks of the program. The program begins with a series of hybrid workshops focused on leadership skills, innovation, and design thinking, followed by individual 15-day mentorships at leading innovation companies and organizations.
During the fellowship, participants will also engage in community service projects, design action plan projects as a country team, and participate in cultural and recreational activities within their U.S. community. TechWomen 2024 will conclude with a three-day program in Washington, D.C., where participants and mentors network and engage with Department of State officials and other women leaders in government. During this three-day program, participants reflect on and celebrate their TechWomen journey over the previous four weeks.
Since 2011, 1,041 women from 22 countries have participated in the program, in addition to 1,187 mentors from 179 companies in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley.
Applicants must have strong English skills as the program is conducted entirely in English.
TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists will be interviewed by U.S. Embassy Tashkent personnel.
- Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement;
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English;
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Uzbekistan at the time of application and while participating in the program;
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa;
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education;
- Are committed to returning to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls;
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States;
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities;
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation; and
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
TechWomen is a fully funded exchange program. All expenses associated with participation in the program, including international airfare, housing and meals, will be covered by ECA.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
To apply to the 2024 TechWomen program, follow this link: http://bit.ly/techwomen2024
The application period closes on January 10, 2024 at 09:00AM PST (GMT-08:00).
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application (non-select or semi-finalist) no later than April 30, 2024. Final decisions will be made no later than May 31, 2024. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
All questions related to the TechWomen program should be address to Tashkent-Program@state.gov. Please indicate “TechWomen Question” in the subject line of your email.