TechWomen empowers, connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East by providing them the access and opportunity needed to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and inspire women and girls in their communities.
Through mentorship and exchange, TechWomen builds participants’ professional capacity, strengthens key networks of professionals, and expands girls’ interest in STEM careers by exposing them to female role models.
Designed to support development in the field of technology, increase the trade capacity of participating countries, promote economic advancement, and enable women to reach their full potential in the science and tech fields, more than 500 women from Africa, Central Asia, and the Middle East have taken part in the TechWomen mentoring program. Approximately 108 professional women working in STEM fields from 21 countries in North Africa and the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and South and Central Asia will travel to the United States in September 2019 for an intensive exchange focused on promoting collaboration in science and technology.
TechWomen participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Applications are reviewed by independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts. Semifinalists will be interviewed by the United States Embassy Tashkent personnel.
January 16, 2019: 2019 TechWomen application closes
March 2019: Semifinalists will be contacted
May 2019: Final decisions will be made
September 2019: TechWomen program begins in San Francisco, CA
October 2019: TechWomen program concludes in Washington, DC
2019 TECHWOMEN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement;
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent;
- Be proficient in written and spoken English;
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Uzbekistan at the time of application and while participating in the program;
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa;
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States or participated in a visa lottery in the past five years; and
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education;
- Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls;
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States;
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities;
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation; and
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
TechWomen encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Applications must be in English and must be submitted online by 19:00 (local time in Uzbekistan) on January 16, 2019. To submit your application online please follow this link https://goo.gl/EwuZTC