2023 TechGirls Exchange Program
TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young girls from around the world to pursue careers in science and technology.
The core of the TechGirls program is a 25-day experience in the United States in partnership with Virginia Tech University. Participants will engage in an interactive technology and computer camp, then travel to one of the following cities (Austin, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, Detroit, or Seattle) for community and career exploration. The TechGirls programming yields a multiplier effect as participants return home to conduct community-based projects with 7 months of mentorship.
TechGirls is packed with skill-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as 40 hours of study at a Tech Camp with our partner the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech. The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are underrepresented.
The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are under-represented.
TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications. Semifinalists will be interviewed by the U.S. Embassy Tashkent personnel.
TechGirls Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are female residents in Uzbekistan;
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 8th, 2023 (Born on or between July 9, 2005 and July 8, 2008);
- Have demonstrated a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
Note: Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have traveled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other U.S. Department of State/ECA exchange program.
The TechGirls program encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
- October 17, 2022: TechGirls application opens
- December 16, 2022: TechGirls application closes
- February 2023: Semifinalists will be contacted via email
- Mid- or late February 2023: Interviews with semifinalists will be conducted
- March 2023: finalists and alternates will be notified
- July 2023: finalists depart for the United States
- August 1, 2023: finalists depart from the United States to Uzbekistan
Application Deadline and How to Apply
Applications, completed in English, must be submitted online by 1:00 PM (Uzbekistan time) on December 16, 2022. To submit your application, please follow this link: https://techgirlsglobal.org/
If you have any questions related to the program, please contact us at Tashkent-Program@state.gov with “TechGirls” in the subject line.