TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young girls from Central Asia, and the Middle East and North Africa to pursue careers in science and technology.
The core of the program is a four-week experience in the United States. TechGirls participate in an interactive technology and computer camp that provides participants with an in-depth examination of technology-related topics, such as coding and cyber security, and engages them in 45+ hours of hands-on instruction.
The camp is complemented by additional activities such as site visits to technology companies, leadership clinics, community service opportunities, job shadowing, and cultural events. As part of program follow-on, the TechGirls implement at least one peer training program or service project within their schools and/or communities upon their return to their home country.
TechGirls is packed with skills-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as study at a Tech Camp with the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech.
The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are under-represented.
TechGirls is an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
TechGirls participants are selected based on the eligibility requirements below. Independent selection committees composed of industry leaders and regional experts review applications. Semifinalists will be interviewed by the United States Embassy/Tashkent personnel.
- November 15, 2019: 2020 TechGirls application opens
- January 15, 2020: 2020 TechGirls application closes
- February 2020: Semifinalists will be contacted via email
- April 2020: Final decisions will be made
- July 6 – August 1, 2020: TechGirls program in the United States
2020 TechGirls Eligibility Requirements
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are females resident in Uzbekistan;
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange;
Note: If you are less than 15 years of age or over 17 years of age on June 1, 2020, please do not apply for this program as you will be deemed ineligible.
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in science or technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
Note: Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other U.S. Department of State/ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate staff or U.S. Department of State employees are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including individuals with disabilities.
Before you apply, please check the requirements for TechGirls Application Process (PDF 29 KB).
Applications must be in English and must be submitted online by 9:00AM EST on January 15, 2020. To submit your application please follow this link https://www.legacyintl.org/techgirls/