The Future Leaders Exchange Program (FLEX) is a cultural exchange program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered in the Republic of Uzbekistan by American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS (American Councils) and supported by the U.S. Embassy in Tashkent and the Ministry of Preschool and School Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan. The program provides students from across Uzbekistan with the opportunity to study in a U.S. high school and live in an American host family for one academic year.
Applicants can participate in the recruitment process from any location with Internet access, using either a mobile device or a computer. FLEX recruitment includes three rounds of rigorous testing:
- Round 1: Open to eligible applicants until September 28, 2023. This round includes a preliminary online application and three essay questions that must be submitted within 10 days of starting the application.
- Round 2: Students will be invited to take part in an online English test.
- Round 3: This semi-finalist round will begin in October and include an interview, in-class essays, the full application, and a comprehensive English test.
FLEX competition is open to all students who meet the basic eligibility requirements established for their home countries.
The FLEX scholarship competition is merit-based and open, at no cost, to applicants who meet the requirements listed below. Students with disabilities are encouraged to participate in the competition. Students may only apply once to the program during a given recruitment cycle.
Eligibility requirements for the 2024-2025 program
Those wishing to apply to the program must:
- Be a citizen of Uzbekistan and able to receive an international passport in Uzbekistan
- Be born between July 15, 2007 – July 15, 2009
- Be enrolled in a secondary school, 9th,10th, or 1st lyceum or college at the time of application
- Have an academic standing of good or better
- Have previously studied English and demonstrate English language ability at the time of registration
- Meet U.S. visa eligibility requirements
To apply, please visit: https://ais.americancouncils.org/flex
Application deadline: September 28, 2023
Discover FLEX, Discover the World!